Friday, March 5, 2010

365 days of "likening the scriptures"

I am 26.
I live at home.
I am unemployed.
I have no medical or dental insurance.
I have a bank account that says I can't afford a movie.
I have expenses that have long since surpassed my income.
I am 2000 miles away from the life I spent years building back west.

Days of uncertainty are more common than not.

I moved back home to find a job. I didn't.
I wanted to fix things with my girlfriend. I didn't.
I wanted to fix my life spiritually. I did.

1 out of 3 isn't exactly a stellar statistic in any field.

As a missionary I had a passion for studying and teaching the Gospel. I lost that not long after I returned home. I traveled down a path that kept me from serving in the Church and placed on a spiritual rollercoaster.

When I moved home I was made the Gospel Principles teacher and part-time Seminary teacher.

The fire was rekindled.

Being home has been difficult. I have struggled with feelings of inadequacy, frustration and loneliness. But, the past several months have been the greatest blessing the Lord could have given me. Preparing lessons for my classes has compelled me to search and ponder instead of read and skim.

"... I did liken all the scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning."
(1 Nephi 19:23)

In an effort to make sure the fire doesn't dim I have challenged myself to write daily about the connection between the scriptures and the experiences I have. For the next 365 days I am going to liken the scriptures to my life. With all of the uncertainty and fear about my future hopefully it will be for my profit and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment